Access to and on-going use of a computer is required for all students. Competency in the basic use of a computer is required. Course work and webinar attendance will require use of a computer and a broadband connection to the internet. Official university correspondence is often sent via e-mail and other services are provided that require access through the Internet.
Laptop Minimum Requirements
- Intel i3, i5, i7 processor or AMD equivalent
- 8 GB RAM
- 250GB Hard Drive
- USB port(s)
- 10/100 Ethernet Adapter and WiFi 802.11 b or g
- Headset and Microphone
- Access to a printer
- Windows based laptops should be purchased with a TPM (trusted platform module) – contact the manufacturer or retailer about a TPM
- A battery with capacity to sustain at least 3 hours of use when the power adapter is unplugged OR an optional extended battery to increase the battery life to at least 3 hours
- A built-in webcam OR external after-market webcam
NOTICE: MacBook Pro with the Touchbar feature is NOT recommended. If you already own a MacBook Pro with Touchbar, you are required to register this device with your Academic Coordinator prior to each Exam you take on the device. Failure to register a MacBook Pro with Touchbar may result in an academic dishonesty/conduct code violation.
|Windows 10 Pro or Education (NOT home)||Professional or Education includes BitLocker software for encryption; Home does not include Bitlocker|
|macOS Catalina||Catalina (10.15) includes Filevault software for whole disk encryption|
- Microsoft Office 2016 or greater (Microsoft Office 365 is free for UF Students)
- Alternative Browsers: Mozilla Firefox and/or Google Chrome
- Adobe Acrobat Reader
- Any update-to-date Anti-virus Software – COP IT recommends antivirus protection. Windows 10 has Windows Defender built-in. Some free software examples for Macs: Avast, Avira, or Sophos.
- Updated Java and Flash
- A media player
A broadband Internet connection is strongly recommended. Slower connections should still be able to access e-Learning, but will take longer to load. A wired Ethernet connection is more dependable for test-taking than a wireless connection. Special Note about Satellite service: Some users with satellite Internet service may find their online courses do not load quickly or consistently due to satellite network design issues.