Online Training – Florida
Become an important part of the growing field of pharmacy with a career as a pharmacy technician. For those who appreciate the convenience and flexibility of video-based online learning, The University of Florida College of Pharmacy, Division of Continuing Education, now offers its Pharmacy Technician Training course via the Internet.
This program is approved by the State of Florida Board of Pharmacy and is an exciting opportunity for those interested in beginning a new and secure career in the field of pharmacy.
Upon completion of this program, you will have satisfied the educational requirements to become a pharmacy technician in the state of Florida. For those who wish to work outside of Florida, this program is designed to prepare you to pass the Pharmacy Technician Certification Board (PTCB) exam or the ExCPT exam and directly enter the field of pharmacy.
Subjects covered in the course include pharmacology, pharmacy law, inventory management, prescription writing, pharmaceutical calculations, sterile compounding and much more. The program fee includes access to our online course for 20 weeks, handouts, and materials. Students will be responsible for purchasing their online textbooks (approximately $150 in total).
The key benefits of this program include:
- An unparalleled online learning experience – The online curriculum uses the best of what is taught in our in-person classes. Furthermore, the program is delivered on the web using the same online learning platform that our Doctor of Pharmacy students use. Through the web, you will have access to lectures, homework assignments, quizzes, and additional readings anytime, anywhere.
- Lectures are given by one of the College of Pharmacy’s most experienced instructors (see below for more information on our instructor) – Over 80 hours of lectures have been pre-recorded in a state-of-the art studio. These video-based lectures are synchronized with our instructor’s slide presentations resulting in an immersive learning experience. Furthermore, you will have the ability to review lectures at their convenience as many times as you like.
- Self-paced learning offers ultimate convenience – We recognize that many of our prospective students live busy lives with ever-changing schedules. With that in mind, our online program can be accessed anytime, anywhere. Furthermore, while our curriculum is designed to be completed in 14 weeks, we allow you 20 weeks, if you need it, to complete the course.
- Start your learning anytime – Once you register for our program, we will send you an email with your first assignment and instructions on how to begin using the system. Within 48 hours, you will be able to access your course online.
- Access to help – You will be able to interact with our instructor by telephone during Office Hours and by email. Additionally, you will be able to discuss various topics through our online discussion board.
- Gain valuable hands-on experience – Upon completion of the online curriculum, we will provide you with an 80 hour externship at pharmacy near you. Through this externship, you will gain valuable real-world experience.
- Florida Board of Pharmacy approval – This online course has been approved by the Florida Board of Pharmacy. Completion of this course will enable you to become a pharmacy technician at any pharmacy in the state of Florida.
- Preparation for the national certification exam – This course was designed, in part, to prepare students to pass either the national Pharmacy Technician Certification Board (PTCB) exam or the ExCPT exam. While passing these national exams is not a requirement in Florida, we highly encourage our Florida-based students to take them. Students wishing to work outside of Florida will benefit from preparing for and passing either the PTCB exam or ExCPT.
- Completion Certificate: Upon completion, we will send you a certificate attesting that you have completed the course provided by the University of Florida College of Pharmacy Division of Continuing Education.
- Affordable tuition – The cost of this program is $2845 and includes access to our online course for 20 weeks, handouts, additional course materials, and externship. Tuition assistance is available (please see below for more details).
Prerequisites for this program include:
- A high school diploma or General Education Diploma (GED)
- No felonies or misdemeanors
- Students must not have any outstanding traffic violations or other legal issues. Any outstanding violations or similar issues must be settled with the appropriate authorities before the externship
- A history of vaccinations may be required to work in all clinical settings and externship locations, particularly if the externship is in an institutional environment
- Students must have a webcam and microphone to use for online proctored exams
University of Florida students are bound by The Honor Pledge which states, “We, the members of the University of Florida community, pledge to hold ourselves and our peers to the highest standards of honor and integrity by abiding by the Honor Code. On all work submitted for credit by students at the University of Florida, the following pledge is either required or implied: On my honor, I have neither given nor received unauthorized aid in doing this assignment.” The Honor Code (http://www.dso.ufl.edu/sccr/process/student-conduct-honor-code/) specifies a number of behaviors that are in violation of this code and the possible sanctions. Furthermore, you are obligated to report any condition that facilitates academic misconduct to appropriate personnel. If you have any questions or concerns, please consult with the instructor or TAs in this class.
As part of our pledge to academic honesty, all of the online exams for this program will soon be proctored. During this process, students will use their webcams to verify their identification via a photo ID to an online proctoring system. The student’s webcam will remain on and recording during the exam.
- A netbook, laptop or desktop computer
- Windows XP, Windows Vista, or Windows 7 / Mac OS 10.5 (Leopard) or higher
- e-Learning performs best using Firefox 3.x (or higher), or Internet Explorer 8.x (or higher). For Macs, use Mozilla Firefox 3.x (or higher)
- PDF viewing software (there are many free options available such as Adobe Reader)
- Free Microsoft Silverlight Browser Plug-in
If you have questions regarding the technical requirements listed here, please contact the College of Pharmacy Media Support Office at (352) 273-6281 or by e-mailing: email@example.com
We accept payment by credit card or check. Additionally, we accept payment as part of the Workforce Investment Act (WIA) Vocational Rehabilitation. Tuition assistance is also available through various loan providers.
Students who register for the Pharmacy Technician Training Course occasionally change their mind for one reason or another. Regardless of the reason, UFCOP believes there should be a definite refund policy for students who decide not to take the course.
Students who have paid in full and request a refund in writing to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- Within 7 days of registration – If you have not taken more than one mini-assessment (quiz), a full refund will be issued less an administrative fee of $100
- No refunds will be issued if the student has taken more than one quiz or if the written request is received after 7 days of registration
Disability Resource Center
Academic accommodations are available to all currently enrolled students, including students enrolled in distance learning programs.
If you are in the process of exploring distance learning options, please use the following tool to help you decide if distance learning is right for you: www.distance.ufl.edu/self-assessment.
This webpage provides an overview and information for students on how to get started registering with the Disability Resource Center and requesting accommodation. Please look under “Undergraduate, Graduate, Professional, and Non-Degree Seeking Distance Learning Students.”
The University of Florida College of Pharmacy is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education as a provider of continuing pharmacy education.